Well its the last night in Washington D.C. before I head up to Buffalo area to spend some time around there and enjoy the sights and scenery for the next while.
D.C. has been a real experience, after getting lost about 10 different times and yet managing to get where I wanted to everytime in the end I learnt that the system in Washington is madness at first but once you know what to look for it becomes much easier.
I have now been around the White House, the Capital buildings in D.C. and seen the outside of the Smithsonian and the various memorials around here - however due to some shoddy weather and mad traffic I have only 1-2 photo's but the memories are there and I am very thankful for those - maybe on the trip back I can get some more Photo's.
It was a really amazing thing though, to wake up one morning where I slept in a Hotel 2 blocks away from the White House, and see it down the street - one of the most powerful men in the world sleeping over there and everything - and then earlier in the day driving past the Pentagon...
Just pure Madness really, its really stunning to simply sit there and look at it, all the time its seen on the TV and in photo's but you never really identify with it as a place... well I do now - I know the streets around it, what it looks like and how truly amazing it is in person.
I must also thank the hospitality of my friends from the EVE Online game I play, the family I ate with for a couple of nights and their wonderful company along with a couple of other people who made me feel so welcome in this huge city.
Everything is just so huge though, all the streets - the highways, the meals! oh gosh the meals! 1 meal is enough to feed two normal people I swear!
I saw Avatar 3D at the Cinema today (Which was absolutely stunning mind you) with my host Mina, who is doing so much to make me feel welcome - but we ordered one LARGE drink, and no joke this thing was so huge that it took the both of us to finish it, even then it was an effort... the popcorn we had barely got touched as well as it was just too intimidating for me!
Speaking of drinks though, I finally got some nice alcholic drink today while at a Seafood Buffet in Washington's waterfront area - Mina ordered a mixed drink that was supposedly potent, she took a couple of sips and got quite tipsy so I offered to finish it - did so and wasn't even slightly affected, annoyed a little she proceeded another and ordered me to drink so I did and still wasn't affected.
Thus I conclude Americans need to learn to drink properly ;)
Hmmm, what else... ah yes! driving on the wrong side of the road!
SO AMAZINGLY MINDBENDINGLY MADENING!
Driving on the righthand side, instinct tells me that the car should go round a corner on the left? and WOOOOSH! there comes a 4x4 that is easily 3x larger than the little Kia I am in and is on the LEFT!
The amount of double takes I have done in situations like that is starting to get to me!
Its just crazy, that and how large all these Highways are and how straight and long the road are.
ah well, thats what I will just have to get used to I reckon.
I will upload more pictures and other things gradually as well as the couple I have from washington sometime in the next couple of days so keep that link I posted earlier handy all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment